Posted by How do you solve a problem like Malia? at 3:31 PM

Wednesday, July 16, 2008


Hey guys!  Here's the contest that we've entered.  You can VOTE by
clicking on the link above or HERE; it takes only a second. IN
ORDER TO VOTE YOU'LL NEED TO JOIN-LOOK UP TO THE RIGHT FOR A
BUTTON, THEN YOU CAN VOTE.The winner of the contest will
be chosen from the stories with the most votes. So many people
have asked how they can help, and your vote would mean so much
to us!

Below is the awesome write up that David's sister did to nominate
us for the contest:

Dear KSL Home Makeover Team,

Thank you for offering this makeover! I have a brother in Provo
who is SO deserving of this! In 2002 he and his wife bought a
lemon of a house--I mean a real lemon! I will not list the night-
mares. Over the years my brother David has toiled and worked
the skin off his fingers to turn this house into a home. Well
why am I writing in, when it seems he has this taken care of?
Because he doesn't.

Let me tell you about my brother. He is a father of four gorgeous
children and married to a lovely wife who has rolled with the
punches on this house (She deserves a medal!). I have been SO
impressed as the years have gone by at how he has taken the gifts
and strengths he has and blossomed into this AMAZING DAD AND
HUSBAND! I must capitalize the words, as if I am screaming it
from a very very high place.

Now, getting back to the subject at hand, this past year he
decided to upgrade the kitchen.This was not a want, but a need
to do so. His budget was $5000. Their three sons also share
a room that was freezing cold. So he decided to renovate that
room as well--as it sat adjacent to the kitchen. When he
uncovered the walls he found cracks everywhere in them! And
this is where my sweet nephews try to sleep--- and the kitchen
was even worse! Suddenly a $5000 dollar job ballooned into
a 40-50K job. He has had four different contractors come out
and give him their advice. All four have told him the whole
thing (kitchen & room) need to be completely knocked down
(as these were additions that were built in the 1950's, ten
years after the house was built).

Why would he deserve this makeover? His neighbors love him.
Anytime they've needed him he was there. He mows their lawns,
even if they don't know its him doing it. He is a community
man! He has worked with troubled teens, he works with the
Boy Scouts and loves it. He teaches his own children how
to serve as he takes them along with him to help others.
He is as frugal as they come. No cable tv, buys
used cars. He is a very wise person and he's just hit a wall
(with cracks).

Please, Please, Please choose my brother David and his wife
Malia and finish their kitchen & room! The whole back of
his house IS FALLING OFF ( again, I am screaming from my
high place)! And for the first time, I've seen despair
start to marr this happy soul. He is a
loving dad who is stretched to the breaking point.


He has never sat back on his haunches but has rolled up
his sleeves, mustered the courage and sledge hammered through
the rough times. I would LOVE to see him and his good
wife rewarded. If its true "what comes around, goes around",
he deserves an "around".

You'll find the six of them squished together in a two
room dwelling in Provo. Please make the call and offer
your extension of help!
THANK YOU!

Sincerely,


Jeanette Southon

4 comments:

Carol said...

You may already know, but there's an email address available that can be used for voting on your blog. Go to BLOG - SETTINGS - EMAIL.

I just did it. We'll see. It may email a confirmation and post it but I can always delete that.

Tell all of your BLOGSPOT FRIENDS!

VOTE VOTE VOTE :-)

Carol said...

Results: It did save a Draft Post of the confirmation email(it's actually an option you can select when setting up the address).

No biggie I just deleted it.

This is kind of fun. It's like an Easter Egg hunt for email addresses!!

How do you solve a problem like Malia? said...

You are fabulous and tricksy! I'll try it.

Simply Sweet Marriage said...

Yay! We love you guys! We put in a vote for you today. We wish you the best of luck. I about cried when I read this blog. I had no idea the struggles that you have been going through because your whole family is happy all of the time!

Heidie Lee